“VLC is unable to open the MRL”. This error haunts almost every VLC Media Player user. Luckily, I will provide a list of methods that you can use to eradicate this error. After this, you will be able to use VLC media player freely and without any worry. Let’s begin with the topic at hand.
First, let’s establish what VLC is. VLC stands for Visible Light Communication. It is an open-source media playing software. Due to its lightweight and the multitude of features it offers, it ranks among the world’s best media players. It is free cross-platform software, portable in nature, and available on multiple platforms. You can find it on Windows OS, iOS, Android, Windows Phone, and the like. It also has the capability of supporting many videos and audio compressing methods and file formats. It can even play video and audio in almost every supported format. With all these features, you can see why VLC is one of the best video players.
Next, let’s talk about MRL. MRL stands for Media Resource Locator. It is similar to URL, i.e., Uniform Resource Locator, which applies to websites. The function of MRL is identical to a URL. Comparatively, it is used to identify a multimedia file uniquely. The error “VLC is unable to open the MRL” occurs when VLC cannot locate and open the multimedia file. Maybe because the file is present somewhere other than the local computer and it cannot identify it. This error is usually encountered when you attempt to stream a video file on to VLC from a website. MRL is used to determine the media file present on the website.
Let’s get to the solutions to this problem now!
Fix VLC unable to open MRL:
It is the most basic solution to solving any problem related to the online website and file loading. Windows Firewall plays a significant role in Internet security. But, sometimes, it blocks you out in such simple matters. Usually, when connecting online or playing games online, you will get a notification from Windows Firewall. It will ask whether you are using your home network or a public network and allows permission based on your response. So, the solution is pretty similar to this. We are going to make VLC an exception to Windows Firewall. To accomplish this task, follow these steps:-
- Open up Control Panel from the Start Menu.
- Click on the first option, i.e., System and Security.
- Next, you will see the Windows Defender Firewall subsection. Open that up.
- After that, on the left side with the column of options, click on “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.”
- Simply, Click on Change Settings and scroll down to see if the VLC Media Player box is checked or not. If not, check it and you’re done.
- If, by chance, you cannot find VLC Media Player there, click on Allow another app.
- Next, click on Browse and then go to the directory where VLC Media Player is installed.
- Double click the VLC Media Player executable.
- Press Add, and then you’re done.
- VLC Media Player get’s into Windows Defender Firewall exceptions.
This one is also one of the most age-old solutions to any program related problems. If you face any error or something is not working, delete it and reinstall the latest version.
First off, check whether your VLC Media Player has any pending updates.
If so, first go to the Control Panel and uninstall VLC Media Player.
Furthermore, go over to their official website and download the latest version of the VLC Media Player.
There is another alternative to solve it check out next.
Third Solution :-
Changing Rights of the file
If you have downloaded a file and are playing a video offline, you can encounter this error. After this, it will display, “Your input cannot be opened.” To solve this, one solution is taking ownership of the file. Meaning, changing the file such that it is available to everyone. To do this, follow these steps:-
- Right-click on the file and select Properties.
- Simply, Move over to the Security Tab and click on Advanced.
- Next to the Owner section, you will see the Change option. Click on that.
- After that, type in “EVERYONE” in the text field. Press OK and then click on Apply. Then press OK, That’s it..
Also check: Showbox not working fix
With that, we have seen various solutions in solving the problem of VLC’s infamous “VLC is unable to open MRL” error. Try these steps, and you might solve it.